Wednesday, June 15, 2005

My dryer quit working the other day. Like a fool I told my wife that since I was off yesterday I would fix it (it wasnt getting hot anymore). So it was about 20 minutes taking it apart and 5 minutes of me finding the problem. The power leads that went to the heating element had at some point heated up and melted the sheathing off themselves, then water corroded the wires away.(geeze dryers are dangerous electrical hazards! my dryer is even pretty newish...No one should run their dryer while they are sleeping yet I USED TO do that all the time).

But anyway.

The barrel screwed to a spinning back plate with 3 1 inch screws. The screws went into the inside of the barrel so I had to balance the barrel on my back while holding the screw, a screwdriver and a flashlight(its dark in a dryer bin). No matter what I would do the backplate would spin or the dryer bin would droop a millimeter and I would lose the screw holes in the backplate. To make matters worse you couldnt see the backplate or where the screws went in from the outside of the dryer with the bin on it.

Ugh...2 hours...There had to be a better way. So I figured out what it was. I cut a clothes hanger into 3 long pieces removed the bin enough for me to see the backplate from the outside and put the pieces of hanger through the holes and the pushed the bin back on. Removed the hanger and inserted screws one at a time. Worked like a charm. Im so proud of myself.

But my back is totally shot from holding that damned bin on it. Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home