Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I put a tomato in with the ants. The ant's colony is on the left hand side of the terrarium and they were pretty much leaving anything on the right hand side unmolested(IE. Crickets). And I was reading that tomatoes carry aphids and everybody knows how ants will "farm" aphids to eat their shit (Honeydew), so I figured I could plant a tomato on the left side in cricketville. Well after about a day the ants started patroling the tomato plant HEAVY. All crickets that come near the tomato must die. I watched them kill 4 last night (Leaving from what I could count 1). I think that means my tomato plant experiment was a success. The ants seem to like it enough to protect it and scour it constantly. They even excavated the roots (I read there were also aphids that infected the plant there).

If your wondering where I got the aphid infested tomato plant it was from Walmart, I picked through about 50 of them before I found one I was happy with(Walmart does really have everything). The other shoppers must have thought me crazy because I was discarding good looking plants and putting nasty ones in a pile.

In other ant news, Ive seen the queen about a half dozen times in the past week(She is HUGE) and I have multiple larva. And it stormed last night so I used about 2 squirt bottles full of water on the terrarium.

ANTS ARE SO FUN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home